Fat transfer procedure starts by taking fat from one part of your body and inject it into another area to help shape your appearance.
A plastic surgeon can remove excess fat from any area. Usually, they remove fat from your:
What is another name for fat transfer?
Fat transfer is also known as:
- Autologous fat transfer.
- Fat grafting.
- Fat injections.
Which part of my body can I have fat transferred to?
After removing excess fat from your belly, hips or thighs, a plastic surgeon can transfer it to several areas. For example, you can have a:
- Fat transfer to your breasts (breast augmentation).
- Fat transfer to your buttocks (Brazilian butt lift).
- Fat transfer to your face.
- Fat transfer to your hips.
- Fat transfer to your lips (lip augmentation).
- Fat transfer to your cheeks.
- Under eye fat transfer.
What is the benefit of fat transfer?
Fat transfer can add natural-looking volume to different parts of your body and create a more youthful appearance. Specifically, fat transfer can:
- Create higher cheekbones.
- Increase volume to thin lips.
- Fill in wrinkles on your face, such as below your eyes.
- Increase the size of your buttocks.
- Reconstruct your breast and repair damage after breast cancer.
- Reduce wrinkles on your hands.
- Repair facial scars.
Who’s a good candidate for fat transfer?
You’re a good candidate for fat transfer if you:
- Are close to your ideal weight.
- Are in good health.
- Don’t smoke or can quit smoking.
- Have enough fat on your body, especially if enhancing a larger area like the hips or butt.
- Want subtle, natural-looking results and have realistic expectations.
Does fat transfer really work?
When performed by a trained, experienced plastic surgeon, fat transfer is effective at giving you a natural-looking, youthful look.
Do fat transfers last?
Results from fat transfer are permanent but it takes about three to six months for the injected fat cells to develop a new blood supply and to see final results.
Will I need several fat transfer sessions?
The number of sessions depends on the size of the treated area and your desired volume. Enhancing lips usually takes one session. Enhancing breasts or a butt may require multiple fat transfer surgeries.
Is fat transfer safe?
Fat transfer surgery is safe. It’s important to work with a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience performing fat transfer because it requires a high degree of skill. As with any cosmetic surgery, risks are possible.